Thursday, February 17, 2011

Masking tape is your friend...

The other day I got a note from a client, who I had painted a couple of rhinos for, asking how I managed to make the graphic design so crisp and consistent. After writing up a lengthy response (and because I was working on some razorbacks for my Hawk Lords), I decided to make a brief tutorial on how I use masking tape to "make the magic happen".

So basically, I find a design I like, and print it. Then I cut out the design and transfer it some masking tape.

I then cut out the design, making sure to peel it up so that the overlapping edges of the masking tape work to pull up the entire icon. If you don't lay down the tape this way, you'll be sorry. I then place it on the primed (white in this case) model as desired. Inevitably, I always tear something (damn! see the red circle), but it's pretty easy to make it match up on the model.

Once placed on the model, I make sure to push the tape down and get a good, solid stick (usually using something rounded and small, but not so small as to leave indentations). It's almost impossible to get it to stick perfectly everywhere, but it's pretty easy to go back and touch it up once you're done.

Obviously, the next step is to apply the second color to the masked model. For this one, I apply a liberal coat of black. Once I take the tape off, the areas where the paint crept under the tape are revealed (more red circles)

So out comes the withe paint, and I touch up the edges. Often it will take numerous coats, especially if you want smooth crisp colors (and are using watered down paints).
And lastly, I start adding watered down coats as needed for the overall design. The cool thing about it is that it goes quickly, and gives you some pretty consistent results, adding to the over all theme of the army.

Hope you found this useful. Here's what it looks like once I'm all done...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hawk Lords Command Squad WIP

Just a quick post (which I appear to have not done since July... ugh!) to show off some "in progress" shots of my command squad and shadow captain. They're just basecoated awaiting a wash of purple and I've completed the veteran's helmets and the standard bearer's banner (plus they're temporarily pinned). In all honesty, Ron at From the Warp inspired me to do some free had on the banner and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Now to just settle into a name for my captain and to get it on the banner... Oh, and the bases are from Secret Weapon Miniatures "Alien Invasion" line. They're awesome!

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Shrike and other WIPs

So I haven't posted in awhile, but I've been in the process of changing jobs and life is funny that way. However, I have been working, and here are some work in progress shots of my converted Shrike (I hate the Native American dancer pose he has), inspired by Ron over at From the Warp.

While I do like Ron's Shrike, I wanted something more commanding, imposing and authoritative. Something that would look cool with a mass of Assault Marines and Terminators standing behind him, and standing next to my converted Pedro Kantor (pics of him are coming).

I had bought the GW Shrike off a kid on Craigslist a couple years back, and only got as far as painting the purple on him. I just hate the pose, and every time I went to finish him, I just sat there looking at him and ultimately moved on to something else.

I'm actually really happy with how he turned out. I used the legs and torso from the commander sprue, Shrike jump pack (of course), and a couple of powerfits that fit the pose I was looking for. I cut the claws off a couple of terminator arms (I know.. blasphemy!) and worked them into the fists, adding little skulls (which I suck at sculpting) to cover the joint (actually, I did it to match Kantor). Lastly, the helm was pretty easy, as were the icons. Here he is in front of an Assault Squad (notice the TT/SS Sergent!). I think this works.

Lastly, here are some shots of my eight man Assault Terminator Squad. In these shots, I've finished the helmets, and have given them the base coat of Liche Purple. Washes are next... I've got a Landradier Crusader to go with these guys, but it's still in the box.

So the icon on the Termi's shoulders is a press mold I made from the Forgeworld kit ( I mentioned it here ). I've also used it on another Tactical squad I've been working on, and it has worked great. As always comments welcome.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

As Promised - Forgeworld Raven Guard Sprues

This post, by design, is crazy pic heavy. I tried to ease the 'bandwidth suck' by making thumbnails but that didn't work out. Oh well! So here's what I got in the mail today straight from Forge World, huge fingernails and all.

First up, the captain...

 Next, the upgrade sprue...

All in all, I think they look great and can't wait to get some press molds done and put some paint on these guys.

As an added extra... here's what I've been working on this week.